Thursday, July 27, 2006

The Baboons



I saw some baboons along side the road today as I went to visit a pastor in Leherutshe. As I saw them and then passed the baboons, I just said to myself – “Oh, there are some baboons!” It was kind of like “Oh, there is some dirt.” I realized just after I passed them how complacent I had become about seeing ‘animals’ along side the road. We have herds of cows walk through our sub-division. Donkeys stand beside and in the road as you swerve to miss them. Sheep and goats are everywhere! As I was thinking about this I quickly stopped and turned around just to watch them do whatever baboons do. It was then that the Lord quietly said, “Dennis, have you become complacent about seeing people... along side the road, in the shops, everywhere you go?” I paused and asked the Lord just again to tenderize my heart – allow me to see people through eyes of love – to see them in relation to eternity.

The reason that I was going to Leherutshe was to visit John Ndlovu and his family. He is a pastor that I have preached for on numerous occasions. He calls me the “Prince of Preaching!” I just have to laugh to myself and think that he must not have heard anyone else preach. He is leaving his church after 4½ years. He has had a hard time. The church had previously been without a pastor for 18 years – yes, you read that correctly – 18 years. Needless to say, there is a little bit of leadership “anarchy.” Those ‘in charge’ had a hard time submitting to the leadership of the pastor. He stayed as long as he could. He is talking with a church in Johannesburg about planting a church for them in J-burg. I would ask that you pray for them during this time of transition.

No comments: